The National Standard for Online Investigations for Law Enforcement
Conducting online investigations presents a unique set of challenges and opportunities for law enforcement personnel. These challenges and opportunities demand new skill sets in order to evolve with technological change. This course will provide the student with the knowledge to cultivate and develop that skill set. This course will empower the student with the ability to effectively conduct online criminal investigations, engage in online undercover investigations, and locate track and apprehend criminals blending yesterday’s, today’s and tomorrow’s technology.
This course will provide law enforcement personnel with an accelerated introduction to the constantly evolving dynamics of online criminal investigations. Students will explore unconventional investigative techniques and approaches to conducting online investigations. This course will emphasize learning by doing activities involving actual and relevant case examples of online homicide, robbery, narcotics, property and vice related crimes. No technical background is required.
- Foundation of Online Investigations – You can run but you can’t hide. Understanding the basics.
- Online Security – Are you the hunter or hunted?
- Craigslist – The mighty classified. How to initiate a proactive case.
- Backpage – Exploring illicit activity and advanced search techniques
- Gmail – Using traditional email to further your investigation
- Google Voice – What is it and how can it benefit you?
- Metadata – What is it and what can it do for you?
- Social Media Overview – Exploration of the major players and Intel and investigations
- Tools and Resources – Must have resources to help you further your case
- Search Warrant Tips – Search warrant tips and trick for online investigations
- Case Management/Organization – Resources you likely have but are not utilizing
- Future Trends of Online Investigations – The future of online investigations
2025 Avenue A, Kearney NE. SO/PD.