Cell Phone Data & Mapping
(March 26-27, 2019)
Dates: March 26-27, 2019
Location: City/County Law Enforcement Center, 2025 Avenue A, Kearney, NE
Managing and Mapping Cell Phone Data for Case Management and Prosecution
The amount of data retrieved during a cell phone investigation can be staggering. Call records and tower data generate hundreds of records in just a few days from a single phone, tens of thousands of records are not unusual. Managing this data (and visually depicting it) showing criminality and making it “make sense” to others is the purpose of this course.
The course covers methods to view, analyze and present cell phone (and related data sets) data generated from current investigations. Using specific case studies and prepared sample sets of data (generated from actual cases) students learn how to analyze and present data found in typical investigations. Special data sets (non-cell phone) are also presented as potential sources for evidence.
By the end of the course, students will be confident in their ability to manage and present digital data sets (cell and others) as evidence in court and in special hearings.
This class is designed for law enforcement officers at any stage in their career. Experience or training in cell phone investigations is not required. Students will be receiving samples of data for use in the classroom during hands-on sessions. A laptop with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint (version 2003 or higher) is required.
- You’ve got the data now what?
- If/ Then Statements – Looking at the Data, Outside Call Lists, who is calling who, Distinct Call Lists for Use in V-Lookups
- V-Lookups – Getting the facts from the Data, Linking Numbers to People, Tower Locations, Human Readable, Intermediate Code
- Pivot Tables – Finding the important clues in the Data, Call Frequency, Tower Frequency, Sum of Calls, Sum of Minutes
- Evidence Continuity – Making the Data Make Sense (to everybody)
- Color Coding – Adding SMS, Combining Data
- Mapping Call Data – Showing the relationship between the data, reality and location, Basic Google Earth KML Creation, KML Creator, Google Docs
- Gephi – Data Analysis, powerful, simple, and free, Importing Data, Manipulating Data, Combining Data
- PowerPoint – Presenting the results in a format everyone can see and believe, Presenting Cell Data in Court and Hearing, Screen Captures.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes