The Basic Field Training Officer Course is a 40 course specifically designed for experienced officers who will be serving as Field Training Officers for the agency. The class will use an innovative approach to deliver a dynamic classroom experience that will prepare the officer to successfully train and mentor new officers to the agency. Using the San Jose Model as its core, this course features the “best practice” legally defendable evaluation process that is being used in public safety agencies across the country. The prospective Field Training Officer will be exposed to the benefits of using the Field Training and Evaluation Program during a new employee’s training and the specific roles of the Field Training Officer will be presented and discussed. Trainee documentation and legally defendable standardized evaluation procedures will be instructed through discussion and practical exercises. The Field Training Officer will learn about the program’s structure and how to modify it specifically for your agency. Remedial training action plans will be developed to address the trainee’s performance weaknesses, along with the Field Training Officer’s responsibilities as it relates to the training. Materials will also be provided with the information needed to make valuable improvements to your agency’s existing program.
Audience: This course is designed for all categories of sworn law enforcement and officers who conduct on-the-job field training of newly hired officers; shift supervisors responsible for the daily supervision of FTOs and their trainees; watch commanders unfamiliar with FTO program processes; agency training officers; FTO program managers who have not attended the basic Field Training Officer course and FTOs whose basic FTO training was more than the “gold standard” of five years ago.
- Basic FTO program concepts and philosophies
- Documenting your trainee during the shift
- FTO program documentation
- Training strategies and Remedial Training
- The basic FTO program structure and how to make modifications
- Preparing your trainee for the FTO program
- Trainee responsibilities during the FTO program
- Adult learning, memory and how stress impacts your trainee’s performance
- Things you must know about FTO program-related legal issues
- The recruit training checklist
- The daily observation report and rating scale application
- Ethical and Burnout dilemmas facing all FTOs